Canadians are looking for top stocks to help them meet their retirement goals.

Let’s take a look at Royal Bank of Canada (TSX:RY)(NYSE:RY) to see if it deserves to be one of your RRSP holdings.


Royal Bank generated nearly $10 billion in profit last year. That’s pretty impressive given the economic headwinds facing the Canadian banks.

This year the good times continue to roll, and the bank is on track to surpass last year’s results.

For fiscal Q2 2016, net income was $2.573 billion, up 5% compared with the same period in 2015. Net income for the first half of the year came in above the $5 billion mark.

The company’s success lies in its diversified revenue stream, with strong contributions coming from personal and commercial banking (52%), capital markets (23%), wealth management (13%), and insurance operations (7%). The remaining 5% comes from investor and treasury services.


Royal Bank is looking to the U.S. to help drive future growth. The company spent US$5 billion last year to buy California-based City National, a private and commercial bank that caters to wealthy clients.

The move positions Royal Bank well to expand its presence in the sector, and more deals could be in the cards in the coming years. City National contributed $66 million to wealth management earnings in the second quarter.


Royal Bank has a strong history of dividend growth. The company has raised the payout nine times in the past five years, and investors should see steady increases continue in step with stronger earnings.

The current quarterly distribution of $0.81 per share yields 4.1%.


Bank investors are watching the energy sector and the overheated housing market for signs of trouble.

Less than 2% of Royal Bank’s total loan book is directly exposed to oil and gas companies. Loss provisions have increased across the industry this year, but most of the Canadian banks say the worst is probably over.

As for housing, Royal Bank finished Q2 2016 with $275 billion in Canadian residential mortgages. That’s a big number, but 46% of the loans are insured and the loan-to-value ratio on the remainder is 54%. This means house prices would have to fall significantly before Royal Bank takes a material hit.

Should you buy?

Royal Bank has been a great builder of wealth for long-term investors, and there is little reason to believe the trend will change.

The stock isn’t as cheap as it was earlier this year, but investors who buy today are still getting the bank for a reasonable 12 times trailing earnings and can collect an attractive dividend.

If you want a name you can simply buy and forget about for two or three decades, Royal Bank remains an attractive RRSP pick.

Stock buy alert hits astounding 96% success rate!

The hand-picked investing team inside Stock Advisor Canada recently issued a buy alert for one special type of "bread-and-butter" stock where The Motley Fool U.S. has banked profits on 23 out of 24 recommendations. Frankly, with an astounding 96% success rate that has delivered average returns of 260%, chances are this new pick could deliver life-changing returns as well. Because the team at Stock Advisor Canada fully embraces the same time-tested investing philosophies that have led to countless Motley Fool winners globally. So simply click here to unlock the full details behind this new recommendation and join Stock Advisor Canada.

*96% accuracy includes restaurant stock recommendations from Motley Fool U.S. services Stock Advisor, Rule Breakers, Hidden Gems, Income Investor and Inside Value since each services inception. Returns as of 5/27/16.


Let’s not beat around the bush – energy companies performed miserably in 2015. Yet, even though the carnage was widespread, not all energy-related businesses were equally affected.

We've identified an energy company we think offers one of the best growth opportunities around. While this company is largely tied to the production of natural gas, it doesn't actually produce the gas. Instead, it provides the equipment required to get natural gas from the ground to the end user. With diversified operations around the globe, we think it's a rare find in the industry.

We like it so much, we’ve named it as 1 Top Stock for 2016 and Beyond. To find out why, simply enter your email address below to claim your FREE copy of this brand new report, "1 Top Stock for 2016 and Beyond"!

Fool contributor Andrew Walker has no position in any stocks mentioned.