The Motley Fool

Improve Your Portfolio Returns by Setting Clear Goals

How do you know if your stocks are doing well or not?

Set specific, measurable, and realistic goals. Then track your portfolio over time to see if you’re achieving them. If not, tweak your strategy so that you will.

The average market returns are 10%. Let’s say that you aim for annualized returns of 10-12% for your diversified portfolio and that you’ll only invest in quality businesses that are investment grade, which means they have an S&P credit rating of BBB- or better. Moreover, these companies must have been profitable every year for the last decade.

Both Bank of Nova Scotia (TSX:BNS)(NYSE:BNS) and Emera Inc. (TSX:EMA) fit well into these criteria.

Bank of Nova Scotia

Bank of Nova Scotia is one of the Big Five banks in Canada, and it has an S&P credit rating of A+.

It is also the most international bank with exposure to emerging markets which should have higher growth than developed markets.

The shares trade in line with its long-term normalized multiple. In a recent Thomson Reuters’s report, the consensus 12-month target on the stock was $85 per share, which represents 8.6% upside potential from $78.24 per share. Adding in its nearly 3.9% yield, a one-year total return of 12.5% is possible.

For the next three to five years, analysts estimate Bank of Nova Scotia will grow its earnings per share (EPS) by 8-10% per year, which should allow the bank to deliver long-term annualized returns of at least ~12%.

Emera

Emera is involved in generating, transmitting, and distributing electricity, transmitting and distributing natural gas, and providing utility energy services with operations diversified across North America and four Caribbean countries.

Emera has an S&P credit rating of BBB+. The shares trade at a reasonable multiple of ~17.2. In a recent Thomson Reuters’s report, the consensus 12-month target on the stock was $53.20 per share, which represents 13.2% upside potential from ~$47 per share. Adding in its ~4.4% yield, a one-year total return of ~17.6% is possible.

For the next three to five years, analysts estimate Emera will grow its EPS by 6.8-8.2% per year, which should allow the utility to deliver long-term annualized returns of at least 11%.

Investor takeaway

By setting annualized goals, investors can check back every year to see if their investments are more or less doing what they meant it to do. Generally, returns of dividends from quality stocks are more reliable than share price appreciation.

Just Released! 5 Stocks Under $49 (FREE REPORT)

Motley Fool Canada's market-beating team has just released a brand-new FREE report revealing 5 "dirt cheap" stocks that you can buy today for under $49 a share.
Our team thinks these 5 stocks are critically undervalued, but more importantly, could potentially make Canadian investors who act quickly a fortune.
Don't miss out! Simply click the link below to grab your free copy and discover all 5 of these stocks now.

Claim your FREE 5-stock report now!

This article represents the opinion of the writer, who may disagree with the “official” recommendation position of a Motley Fool premium service or advisor. We’re Motley! Questioning an investing thesis — even one of our own — helps us all think critically about investing and make decisions that help us become smarter, happier, and richer, so we sometimes publish articles that may not be in line with recommendations, rankings or other content.

Fool contributor Kay Ng has no position in any stocks mentioned.

Two New Stock Picks Every Month!

Not to alarm you, but you’re about to miss an important event.

Iain Butler and the Stock Advisor Canada team only publish their new “buy alerts” twice a month, and only to an exclusively small group.

This is your chance to get in early on what could prove to be very special investment advice.

Enter your email address below to get started now, and join the other thousands of Canadians who have already signed up for their chance to get the market-beating advice from Stock Advisor Canada.