The Motley Fool

Should You Buy Royal Bank of Canada (TSX:RY) Stock Today?

After reporting its fiscal Q2 2019 results on Thursday, Royal Bank of Canada (TSX:RY)(NYSE:RY) stock fell 2.4%. Let’s explore to see if you should consider buying the quality name today or not.

RBC’s Q2 results

RBC operates in five core segments. The Personal & Commercial Banking, Wealth Management, and Capital Markets segments, in particular, helped contribute to net income growth this quarter. They saw earnings growth of 6.2%, 8.9%, and 16.7%, respectively, against the same period a year ago.

Overall, RBC increased revenue by 14% to $11.5 billion versus non-interest expense that only rose 8%. Net income came in 5.6% higher to $3.2 billion, while diluted earnings per share rose 6.8% to $2.20 per share thanks to a reduction in its share count.

Businessperson's Hand Putting Coin In Piggybank

RBC’s recent results

RBC’s half-year results can help reduce any bias that may occur from looking at a quarter’s results. For the first half of the fiscal year, RBC saw healthy revenue growth of 10.5%, while diluted earnings per share experienced stable growth of 6.6% to $4.34.

RBC’s financial position remains strong. At the end of Q2, it had total assets of more than $1.3 trillion (up 8.1% year over year), deposits of $864 billion (up 5.1% year over year), loans of more than $602 billion (up 9.2% year over year), and common equity of $76.1 billion (up 10.1% year over year). Additionally, the bank’s common equity tier 1 capital ratio was solid at 11.8% (up 40 basis points year over year).

Should you buy RBC stock?

RBC is a quality stock that tends to outperform the market with lower risk compared to the average stock. It also offers a safe and growing dividend.

At about $102.60 per share at writing, it appears to be fairly valued trading at a blended price-to-earnings ratio of about 11.8 compared to its long-term normalized multiple of 12.2.

The bank is expected to grow earnings per share by about 6%. Combined that growth with its yield of 4% at writing, RBC stock can deliver long-term returns of about 10% per year. These estimated returns therefore indicate that RBC is still a solid buy.

This year, RBC’s payout ratio is estimated to be about 45%. So, it’s reasonable to expect dividend growth that could be slightly higher than its actual earnings growth assuming that the bank were willing to steadily expand its payout ratio towards 50%, which would align with its big Canadian peers.

Foolish takeaway

RBC is a leading Canadian financial institution. The stock trades at a reasonable price and offers a solid yield of 4%. Therefore, it’s an excellent choice for conservative investors looking for safe income and long-term returns of about 10% per year. And it would be an even stronger buy on any further dips.

Just Released! 5 Stocks Under $49 (FREE REPORT)

Motley Fool Canada's market-beating team has just released a brand-new FREE report revealing 5 "dirt cheap" stocks that you can buy today for under $49 a share.
Our team thinks these 5 stocks are critically undervalued, but more importantly, could potentially make Canadian investors who act quickly a fortune.
Don't miss out! Simply click the link below to grab your free copy and discover all 5 of these stocks now.

Claim your FREE 5-stock report now!

Fool contributor Kay Ng has no position in any of the stocks mentioned.

Two New Stock Picks Every Month!

Not to alarm you, but you’re about to miss an important event.

Iain Butler and the Stock Advisor Canada team only publish their new “buy alerts” twice a month, and only to an exclusively small group.

This is your chance to get in early on what could prove to be very special investment advice.

Enter your email address below to get started now, and join the other thousands of Canadians who have already signed up for their chance to get the market-beating advice from Stock Advisor Canada.

I consent to receiving information from The Motley Fool via email, direct mail, and occasional special offer phone calls. I understand I can unsubscribe from these updates at any time. Please read the Privacy Statement and Terms of Service for more information.