CRA Emergency Measures: How to Lower Your Taxes in 2020!

By buying dividend stocks like Fortis Inc (TSX:FTS)(NYSE:FTS) instead of bonds, you can save on taxes.

| More on:
A close up image of Canadian $20 Dollar bills

Image source: Getty Images

Last month, the Canada Revenue Agency brought in a number of measures to help Canadians cope with the COVID-19 crisis. These included tax filing and payment extensions, as well as a number of cash transfers. The tax extensions mainly apply to the 2019 tax year, which means that they impact the tax returns you’ll be filing this year.

By giving you more time to file your taxes, the CRA has given you the opportunity to find more tax breaks for which you may be eligible. This could lower your tax bill and increase your refund.

The following are three things you can do to increase the chances of that happening:

Report all deductions

The #1 thing you can do to lower your tax bill is to report all deductions for which you’re eligible. The most valuable of these are RRSP contributions. All information on RRSP transfers is sent from your bank to the CRA automatically, so you don’t have to worry crunching the numbers yourself.

Most other deductions, however, have to be added up manually when you file your taxes. Some deductions you can claim include child care services and charitable contributions.

If you’re self-employed you can deduct even more. While the CRA hasn’t introduced any new deductions in 2020, the tax filing extension gives you more time to review your records and find deductible purchases you may have missed.

Review your investments

Any investment income earned outside of an RRSP or TFSA has to be reported to the CRA. It’s very important to review information on this closely. If you incurred any capital losses in 2019, you can use them to offset the taxes you paid on capital gains.

Imagine, for example, that you bought $100,000 worth of Fortis Inc (TSX:FTS)(NYSE:FTS) shares, and sold them for $120,000. That would leave you with a $20,000 capital gain. In Canada, 50% of any capital gain is taxable. That means that you would have earned $10,000 in taxable income from the transaction.

You’d pay your marginal tax rate (i.e., your highest tax rate) on that $10,000. If you’re a high earner, that could be as much as 50%, or $5,000. You’d have to pay dividend taxes on top of that as well.

Now, let’s imagine that you held some other stock, and realized a $20,000 loss when you sold it. This would be enough to offset your full profit on the FTS shares, so you’d end up with $0 in net taxes.

Of course, that also means you’d end up with $0 in actual returns. However, if you neglected to report the losing trade, you’d still have to pay taxes on the Fortis shares!

None of the above capital gain and loss rules are new in 2020. They’re established components of Canada’s tax code. However, the CRA’s tax filing extension gives you more time to carefully review your transaction history and find tax savings you may have missed. The end result could be a much larger than expected tax refund.

This article represents the opinion of the writer, who may disagree with the “official” recommendation position of a Motley Fool premium service or advisor. We’re Motley! Questioning an investing thesis — even one of our own — helps us all think critically about investing and make decisions that help us become smarter, happier, and richer, so we sometimes publish articles that may not be in line with recommendations, rankings or other content.

Fool contributor Andrew Button has no position in any of the stocks mentioned.

More on Dividend Stocks

stock analysis
Dividend Stocks

Buy These TSX Dividend Shares Next Week

Are you looking for dividend stocks to add to your portfolio? Buy these picks next week!

Read more »

edit Safety First illustration
Dividend Stocks

3 of the Safest Dividend Stocks in Canada

These three dividend stocks are all high-quality companies with defensive operations, making them some of the safest investments in Canada.

Read more »

A person builds a rock tower on a beach.
Dividend Stocks

3 Stocks to Anchor Your Portfolio in a Rocky Market

Three stocks are solid anchors in any portfolio today for their outperformance in a weak market and defiance of the…

Read more »

money cash dividends
Dividend Stocks

3 Solid Dividend Stocks That Cost Less Than $30

Given their solid financials and healthy cash flows, the following under-$30 dividend stocks are a good buy in this volatile…

Read more »

grow money, wealth build
Dividend Stocks

2 High-Yield Dividend Stocks With Rock-Solid Payout Ratios

These two dividend stocks offer unbelievably high yields of more than 7% and earn more than enough free cash flow…

Read more »

Dividend Stocks

5 Steps to Making $500 in Monthly Passive Income in 2023

Generating monthly passive income isn't as hard as it sounds. Here are 5 steps to start making $500 every month.

Read more »

sad concerned deep in thought
Dividend Stocks

Worried About a Recession? Invest in This Stable Dividend Stock to Rest Easy

Stable dividend stocks bought primarily for their payouts can offer you surety of returns, even during a recession.

Read more »

A golden egg in a nest
Dividend Stocks

How to Turn $50,000 Savings Into a Generous Nest Egg in 2 Decades

Build a generous nest egg in 20 years by investing your accumulated savings in Dividend Aristocrats and holding them in…

Read more »