The Motley Fool

Canada Revenue Agency: $27,700 Cash Benefits the CRA Handed Out This Year

Image source: Getty Images.

Canadians do not lack in financial support since the coronavirus breakout in mid-March 2020. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) continues to hand out cash benefits (some are taxable, while others are not) for individuals in December and extends until 2021.

Excluding seniors’ and students’ benefits, an eligible recipient can receive as much as $27,700 in 2020 until September 25, 2021. If you meet the eligibility requirements in each of the four emergency measures, you’ll have enough economic lifelines to ride out the health crisis.

Flagship program

The Canada Emergency Responsible Benefit (CERB) ended on September 27, 2020, but it was the flagship COVID-19 program. It provided a taxable benefit of $500 per week for up to 28 weeks or a total of $14,000. CERB is the alternative if you can’t qualify for Employment Insurance (EI).

Direct CERB replacement

The Canada Response Benefit (CRB) is the direct replacement of CERB. Again, displaced workers, employed and self-employed, who can’t transition to EI can apply for CRB. The CRA pays $1,000 bi-weekly ($900 net of 10% tax) for up to 26 weeks or a total of $13,000 until September 25, 2021.

Extra CCB payment

Families receiving the Canada Child Benefit (CCB) received an extra $300 per child on top of the regular CBB payment on May 20, 2020. The CCB enhancements for the 2020-21 benefit year took effect in July so that parents will have more cash in their pockets.

One-time GST special payment

In early May 2020, the CRA gave out a one-time special payment in Goods & Services Tax (GST) to low- and modest-income families. The average additional benefit was nearly $400 for single individuals and almost $600 for couples. Application for this payment is not necessary. Eligible persons received the payment automatically.

Virtual tax-free clinics

Aside from cash benefits, the CRA offers tax-free clinics in partnership with local organizations. The CRA’s Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) has virtual clinics set up on an interim basis. It can receive and authenticate documents from taxpayers in a variety of ways, including video communication.

Enduring income support

The $27,700 cash benefits from the CRA is substantial. If you have an equivalent amount in idle cash, consider dividend investing to earn passive income. Canadian Utilities (TSX:CU), one of the largest utilities in Canada, pays a generous 5.42% dividend. Your capital can generate $1,501.34 in additional income.

Not only is this utility stock a dependable income provider, but a dividend aristocrat, too. Since 1972 (48 years), the $8.82 billion company has increased its dividend every year. Over the last three and five years, dividend growth was clocking at a rate of 10% CAGR. The business model is low risk and enduring.

About 86% of the total earnings come from regulated utility assets. Long-term, contracted assets contribute to the remaining 14%. The company owns and operates regulated electric and gas distribution and transmission assets. More than two million customers around the world depend on Canadian Utilities. This subsidiary ATCO has been operating since 1927.

Apply for federal aid

The CRA is the agency that’s administering most of Canada’s COVID-related emergency and recovery benefits in 2020. You don’t have to tap into your savings if you can qualify for any of the federal aid available.

Speaking of the cash benefits the CRA has handed out in 2020...

Just Released! 5 Stocks Under $49 (FREE REPORT)

Motley Fool Canada's market-beating team has just released a brand-new FREE report revealing 5 "dirt cheap" stocks that you can buy today for under $49 a share.
Our team thinks these 5 stocks are critically undervalued, but more importantly, could potentially make Canadian investors who act quickly a fortune.
Don't miss out! Simply click the link below to grab your free copy and discover all 5 of these stocks now.

Claim your FREE 5-stock report now!

Fool contributor Christopher Liew has no position in any of the stocks mentioned.

Two New Stock Picks Every Month!

Not to alarm you, but you’re about to miss an important event.

Iain Butler and the Stock Advisor Canada team only publish their new “buy alerts” twice a month, and only to an exclusively small group.

This is your chance to get in early on what could prove to be very special investment advice.

Enter your email address below to get started now, and join the other thousands of Canadians who have already signed up for their chance to get the market-beating advice from Stock Advisor Canada.